Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Small Victories

Hooray for small victories.
Though my mama didn't seem much benefit from it aside from joy (meaning, she didn't sleep enough last night), I had a great night last night. I got a bath later since my parents are trying to get my bath time within a window based on where I am in my eat/sleep cycle rather than rushing around to make me ready to have a bath at 7. Recently, I had been going to sleep around 10 with all the fussing involved after I initially went down around 8. Last night, my mama called in my daddy to keep her company and help put me down -- they ganged up on me. Well, seeing I was unable to win, I went down (after the first time being put down) without a fight. My daddy was just leaving when I woke up again. My mama decided she'd go it alone and told him to leave thinking she was in for yet another night of hours of shhing. I proved her wrong! Even though I woke up, I just chattered to myself quietly for a bit and looked around inward and outward till I put myself to sleep. Not a fuss in sight. We both went to sleep by 930. I stirred around 230 and then on and off from 3 till 430. My mama was all hypervigilant to keep me asleep for seven hours if she could. I probably didn't need all that shhing. I ended up falling asleep for real just short of the 7 hr mark and slept an extra half hour. Nursed well and went down easy for another stretch. My mama would have been happier if we didn't have the two-month appointment with the pediatrician. Who knows how long I would have slept? As it was I nearing the 3 hour mark despite all the noise my mama and daddy were making getting ready thinking for sure I'd wake up and we could nurse and go. I made up for my missed morning naps with the longest nap I've had in a long time; my mama woke me up after I passed three hours. I needed to think about bath time coming up. I had a long activity time and have been alert and pleasant almost all day. (Transitions are always hard. I know milk and potty, but sometimes I don't know what is happening or I am just overstimulated and can't calm down.) Today has been a good day.

Who knows who or what is responsible? Is it that my mama is a more vigilant burper so I am less gassy? I did get out more burps with increased effort on my parents part and I did have my first poop without gas in maybe my whole life. Is it that I was allowed to finish my cycle and have bath time when it fit? I did feel a lot less rushed and stressed about time...wait, that must have been my parents. Was it that it was less dry in the room because the humidifier is now near the heater and the heater fan is circulating the humid air better? I know if felt more comfortable, to my nose and my skin and my whole body. It is a mystery. All of these seem like good ideas, regardless.

SO, like I said, hooray for small victories. Tonight is another adventure.

No comments: