Thursday, January 28, 2010
Wednesday, January 27, 2010
Whenever I wake up after 7 from my last nap, we do the following, starting with the lights on:
- Eat while daddy reads me Winnie the Pooh.
- Have tummy time or activity time.
- Lights off.
- On the back flail around time to get some energy out.
- Eat with quiet darkness till drowsy.
- Put onto sheepskin to sleep.
- (Set up monitor and hang out and watch TV on Netflix and Hulu.)
It works well in the sense that it is virtually cry free. Sometimes it takes me two hours from start to finish, but it's nice to hang out and enjoy some final quiet moments with my parents.
I'm not just growing, I am maturing. Here are some ways in which I am becoming a more mature, little girl:
- I can hold my head up, as you have seen.
- You've seen some evidence of rolling over, whether you believe it or not.
- You've seen the numbers, the facts about my weight and height.
- You may be able to tell that I am awake more often.
- I am also more alert and able to focus and engage which is helpful because I clearly know that my parents are trying to tell me something with these signs they make....I'm just not always sure what. (I just go along with whatever they give me until they really figure it out.)
- My legs are often straight now when I'm relaxing with my parents. Before they were bent most of the time, and I kicked them straight. Now they are straight, and I kick them.
- I am definitely gaining a bit of control of my limbs, my arms at the very least. I'm not so good on the fine motor -- you saw me looking for my thumb -- but I can get my hand into my mouth ... or around that area more of the time.
- My parents wonder if they are observing the first, earliest signs of the teething process or whether it's me growing. Here are some things on the checklist: increase in drool -- check (which leads to irritation around mouth from saliva -- check); wakefulness -- the past few days I have had trouble sleeping but I am doing pretty well today and in fact since my mama walked me in a sling for an an hour total of my almost two hour nap; starting to be more gummy -- I am chewing on the pacifier now when my parents are trying to get me to take it. (I don't, but I have started biting down a bit.)
- I am taking not just big girl pees but mature girl pees now sometimes, and I can definitely hold it till my parents take me to the potty (since they are on the lookout for the signs and are a little more quick on the uptake than they were in the beginning -- these things take time).
- I'm sure there are more, but I none are beating down the door just now.
Tuesday, January 26, 2010
Certain people -- I won't mention any names -- think it is funny and cute to take pictures of me like this photo in which my mama put me down just as I was during the preceding burp session.
My mama thought it was more important to have video than photo documentation of my rollover session. I rolled over. My mama videotaped. This picture is after three successful rollovers:
Monday, January 25, 2010
During tummy time, I have moved from working on crawling to rolling over onto my back. Today I practiced both sides. I can usually do it pretty easily up to the last part, getting over that hump. More practice to come...
After a little sliding because my parents were focusing on sleep and food, the ECing is going pretty well. Today I stayed in the same diaper all day! I do pee a lot, but I am starting to be more predictable at times. I am also starting to hold my pee to wait for the potty, but that effort makes me cry so gone are the times of a graceful awakening. Still, we are moving forward.
I am currently having trouble going down to sleep, but I went easily for my two naps today. I am still having trouble sleeping more than one cycle for naps during the day (my longest was today at just over an hour). I slept over ten hours last night, nine the two nights before ten before that and seven and half for the few days before that. It did take me three hours for my parents to put me to sleep the last two nights (we'll see about tonight -- still in progress), though So in some ways, night time sleep is back on track but my day time sleep has gotten lost. I'm also eating like crazy. Can this be a growth spurt?
What a day! It rained and rained all morning and afternoon. It was so dark the light was as dim as twilight for most of the day. Then all of a sudden it cleared up just after 4 pm. I was just finishing a cycle of awake time so my mama put me in a sling and we went for a walk with the dogs. It was like a spring day outside! Fresh air -- woohoo!
Sunday, January 24, 2010
Saturday, January 23, 2010
My parents went to a signing with babies workshop last weekend. That made them all excited to sign all the time. Here is the American Sign Language (ASL) online dictionary; there's a bit for babies on there too. My parents are using the following words, in order of importance....or appearance:
- burp (getting burped)
- down -- hasn't been used yet, going to make it in soon
- kisses -- same...I need to be warned when my daddy is going to smother me
Look them up and you can use them too. It's kind of cool to think I could know another language...that ASL could be my first language...wow!