Monday, August 2, 2010

Turn Around and Wave

Today my mama and I went to the Little Treehouse so I could play in a different environment with other kids. On the way, my mama turned around and looked at me in the rear seat baby mirror. She waved, and I waved back! That was the first time I really showed her that I know how to look at someone else in the mirror. I waved a few more times to make sure she understood I knew how to do that.

Unfortunately, there were not many kids there and the kids that were there were much older than me. I didn't mind, though. I went over to whoever happened to be playing in relatively one place. Some weren't interested in me, and some were interested but I wasn't interesting enough since I don't walk yet. My mama took me downstairs to the tumble room where I liked to climb that first time. We were the only people down there, so we didn't stay long. Still, I did two things that impressed my mama. The first was that I crawled through the tunnel that I seemed unsure and scared of last time. This was the second time I did it. (Mama made a silly iMovie to the Beatles "Wild Honey Pie" off the White Album.)


Actually that was the second, but the first thing is that I turned around! When we first got downstairs my mama put me on the higher part of one of those big ramps I crawled up last time. She moved away, and I wanted to follow her (as I am wont to do most often these days). She came back, and I wanted to get down to be closer to her and play on something else, like that tunnel. My mama saw I wanted to get down and told me to turn around. I scooted to the edge and sat down with my right toes over the edge. My mama is always telling me to put my toes down since I know toes and that's where they go. She said so this time, but she didn't help me at all since she saw I was wanting to practice. After I scooted into position I stuck my leg over the side, rolled onto my side/belly and looked for the ground. I did need a little help here because my confidence was shaken when I couldn't feel the floor. My mama assured me that the floor was close and helped me put my foot down the big two inches that I couldn't see were left. Then I swung my other leg off. She had to help here a bit because my toes got caught on a flap so she flattened that. All in all, though, I pretty much turned around and got down all on my own! Certainly I showed my mama a surprise because last time she went to show me I insisted that either I would do it or she should pick me up but I couldn't figure out how to turn around (have to get to the edge first) or put my foot down (that is scary!). My mama was happy that I feel comfortable enough to take some risks.

One risk that is still on the agenda is a mirror box that is like that tunnel in that you crawl inside it.

I just was unsure about the safety of such a thing because I can't tell where things really are. Next time...

No comments: