Tuesday, August 10, 2010

EC Update

Now that I have crawling and standing down (still working on talking), I am communicating more again about pottying. I'm bigger, though, so I can be even more clear than before. For instance, the other day I woke up and nursed and pottied and nursed some more. My mama had put me down to play while she get her clothes on. I played for a minute or two and then started whining and crawled over to the potty. Since I had just pottied big girl style, she asked/signed if I had to poop. I said yes (my words are not yet words, but I can be pretty clear about things). She put me on the potty and I pooped immediately. Yay, mama! Yay, me!

I am going dry most of the night most nights. This doesn't mean all night because she potties me once or twice, usually once before midnight and once around 6 or 7. Sometimes, though, she puts me down around 8 and I'll be dry all the way till she potties me again at 5 or 6! Now that I am communicative at night too, she only potties me when I tell her I have to. I tell her by squirming while I'm nursing. If I squirm and squirm again, my mama asked me quietly if I have to potty. If I do then I will pull off and stretch or I might just keep kicking my legs around. She knows that means I have to go. We have a good system going, and I have been going through fewer and fewer diapers at night.

Despite all our successful communications, my mama and daddy know not to expect me to do this all the time. As I grow and change, I have to spend my energy and focus on what I am learning. Sometimes that means I have less focus and time to stop and communicate to my parents. Overall, I am happy they are listening to my needs and helping me feel more confident and independent.

No comments: