Friday, August 6, 2010

The Next Step

Well, I took the next step. I got off the bed with only verbal support from my mama. She has been teaching me "knee" and "toes" and such just for fun while I'm on the potty. She uses the word toes to help me know what to do. Today we were on the mattress on the floor so it wasn't so scary for either of us. My mama just laid back and let me do things on my own physically. She saw I wanted to get off the bed and was hesitant; she also wants to make sure I am practicing and recognizing when I need to turn around to get off. She told me to turn around. I knew what this meant from other times together getting off the bed. I played around with the wall for a bit, toying around with standing up to turn around. I finally maneuvered myself into position, while my mama patiently waited. She saw I stuck out my toes and encouraged me to continue, waiting to see what I thought the next step was. I showed her I knew the next step. I turned over onto my belly so my legs "hung off" (the three inches to the floor) and slid off. We were both so happy!

1 comment:

JeremyDyen said...

Yay Uma! So inspiring to watch her grow and learn.