Wednesday, April 21, 2010

I Am a Loving, Generous One

A benevolent baby, you might say.

My mama isn't sure why, but I surprised her by sleeping from 6:30 pm to 1:15 am last night. That is 6.5 hours! I haven't given her that kind of time in over a month. Maybe over two...

Usually I go to sleep around then and wake up *at most* after three hours. Generally I have been waking up after two, and more than occasionally after one. Not last night. Is it this cold? I had a good day yesterday after mama got a giant snot ball out of my nose--not too much congestion after that. (She, on the other hand, is not doing nearly as well as me.)

My mama usually side nurses me, so I've been in bed, attached mostly, all night. For the past couple weeks, I wake up when she walks in. I can smell her, you know. Not last night. I didn't care that I could smell her. She happily tossed and turned to get comfortable and in a position that let her breathe, spraying throat spray and drinking water. This is a major luxury, you see, this tossing and turning, since she usually has to keep still for me. (She has successfully detached herself and turned over to sleep in a position she likes and needs -- bad shoulders still from years of volleyball. She thinks it's a big secret, but I know and let her do it as a gift.)

So, there you go, mama. Another big present for you. And it's not even your birthday. I just knew you were sick and needed some sleep to catch up. (Like that time when you had a very important and long meeting to start back at work and I slept the whole two and a half hours even though my longest nap at that point was at best just over an hour.) Since I have been depriving you of deep sleep for the last couple weeks with my teething and this cold, I thought you deserved it. (Mama says, "Thank you, dearest baby Uma.")

No comments: