Sunday, December 27, 2009

W.O.W.

My mama is amazed. I amaze my parents every day, which amazes me because I'm just doing what I do, being me. Last night was a bit rough in the beginning. My mama thinks I was overstimulated from the visitors and the movie. My Tia Anjuli was here with Ram Uncle and E-ma. Aunt B was in from Cali, but I am hoping she moves back so we can spend time together. Maybe she would like to spend some time with me when I am older while my parents abandon me for some selfish reason of their own. (hint hint--Anjuli you too)

Anyway, I got my bath on time, already a bit sleepy...probably from nursing from 4 pm on every hour more or less. I got another feed in, but couldn't get myself to sleep. I kept waking up and nursing every five to ten minutes. My mama decided I had some feelings inside that I needed to get out before I could sleep well. I cried in my mama's ear for fifteen minutes while she held me good and close so I felt safe. All of a sudden, I felt better and went immediately to sleep--almost an hour or more later than the last number of days.

Here's the thing. I slept for seven hours, squirmed and squawked for a minute or two, but my eyes weren't open so my mama didn't believe I was truly waking. Indeed, it turns out I needed to pass some gas--that was taking some effort and causing me discomfort and waking me up. I got it out though, woke up a bit later for a miniature repeat and slept for another long while. All in all, I slept over nine hours straight last night without waking to nurse. My mama was wondering if I was too sleepy and hungry to wake myself, like some jaundice babies get, but she figured I was too old for that. Sure enough, I woke up (actually started opening my eyes), and I was calm and refreshed. I was peaceful all through being pottied (where I didn't pee because I peed a bit in my diaper and seem to need to get some food in to stimulate the old stuff going out). I was calm even to being nursed. This is only the second time I've woken so gracefully, this one better than the last. My mama wonders if part of this success (though she is hesitant to call it that since she's not sure what that means or what is even desirable) comes from the expulsion of my feelings last night before going to sleep. Maybe there are more kinds of elimination needed than just pee and poo. Here's an interesting article on the idea of feelings: "Helping Young Children Sleep"

The final piece in this story brings us to activity time. I, of course, was able to be quite alert and active having slept and eaten so well. ***Note: Some of these concepts are coming from natural intuition and observation and some are coming from the brief glimpses my mama has read from the "Baby Whisperer" who recommends activity time after nursing rather than nurse-sleep. Although, sometimes I do that on my own and occasionally I fall asleep during a comforting nurse.*** I worked on crawling again today. This was another moment for me to amaze my mama. I did more today than yesterday. I was a bit more coordinated and a bit stronger too. I started to reach with my left hand and was able to use my knees and feet a bit better. My right arm got a bit stronger and coordinated so I was able to pick my head a bit better. I *might* have moved forward a centimeter or two in what one *might* call a crawling motion. All I know is that I worked so hard I didn't even cry but instead put my head down for a break and got heavy eyelids. My mama threw me in a sling and gave me a bit of a walkabout till I felt safe and relaxed and loved. Nap time....E.A.S.Y. = Eat, Activity, Sleep, (time for) You. Who knows what my mama does with her time...

No comments: