Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Calm, Curious and Content

Right. Sleep. 9 hours, as you remember, then just over 8.5 night before last. This morning I woke up after just over 8.5 again, BUT the routine got moved up. My mama is going back to work in April and wanted me to start waking at five or so to eat, but, as she is sleep greedy and needy, only after i have slept over eight hours. Bath time was, you recall, at 9:30. Last night, my parents decided I should start this more lasting sleep routine/pattern in a way that would work for when I am five months old. Bath time came at 8:00 instead. My mama wondered how that would affect my sleep quantity, which as I said she is grateful for, and found out that I am capable of transitioning. Tomorrow...or today...tonight is another opportunity for all of us to learn something.

This morning however, was a first. I woke up as a time or two before, calm curious and considering ... and today quiet. I stretched a good bit, the supreme head and back arch being a long standing favorite of mine. My mama decided to feed me before forcing me to endure a diaper change or pottying event. I ate heartily, grateful for the sustenance, and just when i looked as though falling asleep, i opened my eyes in alert. this caused my mom to correctly inuit, subconsciously, that i needed potty time. this counts as "activity time." ***Note: my mama has been reading some book by some woman who can whisper to babies. Her thing is E(at). A(ctivity). S(leep). Y(ou, that being a big person).*** my calm rose to a cheeriness as my mama took off my diaper to see that it was D-R-Y. she was surprised, to say the least, because i didn't potty since before my bath at 8:00. Another surprise as I pooped quite happily (I like to smile and laugh after I poop to show my pleasure) and peed a good pee. I am still quietly enjoying the day, you see. My mama gave me a little more food before activity time--now, I should say that I probably could have had more consciously directed or enforced activity time after nursing, but I seem to have made some good choices on my own to make up for my parents lack of interesting ideas. The point is, I haven't had much of an opportunity to learn to play on my own, though I have loved faces and chatty with people. Today though, my mama and I looked around the room, mostly at the fan. I listened while my mama told me about the room. Then she put me in bed while I was awake--this is another thing I might have been able to handle if my parents had tried earlier. I became very chatty for a while and looked all around me. As I started to yawn and get sleepy, though, I got cranky from wanting sleep to come. I fussed for a while, nothing out of the ordinary, and after a time got myself to sleep. From waking, through potty and eating, and even during activity time and after being put down, I was calm and curious and content.

p.s. my mama may be sleep needy/greedy, but she never ends up getting all the sleep that i get. who knows what she does with her time for fun, but sometimes while i am all sweet-faced in the middle of the night. she is lying awake for various reasons. i'm not sure, but sometimes i get the feeling she is seeking me out, waiting to see when i am going to wake and if my stirring noises are me awake or me in a state that i should/could go back to sleep again....it's just a feeling.........

3 comments:

ettel said...

cute, cuddly and captivating.

ettel said...

cute, cuddly and captivating.

ettel said...

cute, cuddly and captivating.