Monday, November 8, 2010

The Puja

My Mamama helped my mama and daddy do an abbreviated version of the puja for 1 year olds. There was a ceremony for my mama and me when I was in the belly, too. This one was tastier, but perhaps more uncomfortable.

I didn't want to be held. I wanted to walk around. Here I am being my usual, floppy self.


Mama had to put my clothes on right. We left the hat on Tia Anjuli had just given me, just for fun.


Oooh, here's Mamama with many things......


Like a birthday hat!


Which I wasn't so fond of. This was to be the first neck item that would make me uncomfortable.


Some red vermillion powder.


Circle with the flame three times.


That was too fascinating.



I had to touch it.


Throw a bit of rice three times.


The garland of flowers I liked to look at...


...but I didn't like wearing it around my neck. I didn't want it to go over my head. Just like my clothes.


My mama then gave me the sheera (sweetened cream of wheat with banana and raisin -- one of my mama's childhood favorites). That made me feel a bit better.


Then came the sweetened milk to drink.



I, again, liked looking at the necklace...



...but not wearing it.


Everyone was happy for me, though.


My mama set me down.


I then was happy to run off and play.

1 comment:

Madhavi said...

Sheila, you look like a goddess in these photos!