Sunday, November 14, 2010

New Developments

Well, I've been through and done a lot this last week or two. Here are some moments my mama thought were memorable:

1. I got sick for real for the first time. Stomach flu. Puking, on the bed and on my mama. I was not myself; I didn't want to walk or stand or be put down. My mama loved holding me close because I rarely let her do that, but she was no happy seeing me so lethargic. Those of you who have seen me stand and walk know that my balance is fairly good for one so little. This flu had a dizziness element to it as well, so when I was ready to walk I was unsteady. It made me a bit unsure of myself. Then, even after all that had gone, I still had that tired feeling come over me after a good bout of play.

2. However, while I was sick, I did more singing than ever. In between two puke on my mama sessions, my mama was changing the sheets and singing to me. I sang back to her the same pitch. We made a little game for a minute or two. Then there is my own singing. I love to sing the song my mamama taught me. I like to sing my own little ditties too. This morning I I was singing and drumming on the bed at the same time. I even drummed and sang with a syncopated rhythm! My parents have been impressed with how I have picked up clapping rhythms that are more than the basic. It seems this parroting phase is a great time to learn just about anything, regardless of how complicated.

3. I like to talk on the phone. I know what it is. I pick it up and say hello and have a conversation. Sometimes there is someone there and sometimes there is not. I also pick up other objects and test to see if they are phones....or perhaps that all just play fun.

4. Talking is much more frequent and fanatic now. I like to tell all kinds of stories. I am learning to use my voice. I will make it high and low and loud and a whisper. I make it crack like an adolescent boy. I make my voice sweet like a siren. It is fun learning to use my voice. Who knows what I can do?! Once my E-ma was reading me a book. She read it a few times: "The cow says 'moooo.'" I said "mooooo." Then later I read it with my mama. I took the book from her and made my voice go up and down like hers did when she said, "The horse says 'neigh.'"

5. I am now signing up a storm. Once in a while I get tired and/or confused, or my parents get confused. Most of the time, though, we all make sense to each other, and signing has helped us understand each other better overall. For instance, when I was wailing inconsolably once, I told my mama something "hurt." She asked me what hurt. Did my "tummy hurt"? "Teeth hurt?" "Head hurt?" I watched and wailed as she asked me, and then calmed down a bit and signed that my "tummy hurt." Then I thought about it and got a bit upset and said my "teeth hurt" too. I signed sleep more throughout the whole sickness because I was sleepy a lot. I have been signing "all finished" regularly and "poop" often. These, especially the "all finished," are very helpful for moving us on to the next thing. I say I'm all finished eating, pottying, sleeping, staying awake. I'll say I'm finished having a bath or even I'm all finished having a mama distracted by something else! I know when I am tired and my mama is taking me up how to say "Bye," I'm going to "sleep!" Yesterday on Skype I stood up, pointed all around ("over there") to where Baby Violet was with Alaine and Alex, and said "Bye" to my grandparents. I said "I'm going over there. Bye!" and walked away. It was a bit rude, but funny to all.

1 comment:

Madhavi said...

Three singing pigs say "La, la, la". I think I have that book memorized - it is Anjali's favorite. I am so excited for you guys. What amazing developments!! Mostly, I am glad that Uma is feeling better.