Monday, November 22, 2010

Lunar Birthday

Today is my lunar birthday. One year ago, this same full moon was shining in the skylights on the stairs and in the bath. My mama remembers because she was coming up the stairs late in the evening before my birth and the full moon was shining gloriously on my in her big round belly. She stood for an early contraction or two, bathing in the light of the moon. Not too much later, when it seemed more clear that the contractions weren't going away, my mama took a bath in the light of the full moon coming through that skylight. This was her last real moment as her self without me. She went to bed after that and woke up full at 3 am with active labor contractions. Then, of course, I was born just after 7 am with that same full moon bright in the sky with the sunrise on the horizon. So as you can tell, this full moon is memorable and special to my mama. In fact, it is not so very common to see the moonset and sunrise simultaneously, like in this photo. Yet one more reason my mama remembers the full moon and would like to honor my lunar birthday each year. She thought the last full moon was my lunar birthday. I think I even told you that before, but she realized that it didn't feel quite right last moon. Yesterday, she remembered why when she saw the moonlight that lit up the whole stair and hallway and the memories came back. A special day indeed....Happy Lunar Birthday to Me!

No comments: