Friday, March 5, 2010

Endless Fun

My parents have endless fun watching me. There is so much going on. Today, my mama held a pacifier in front of me so I could reach for it. She watched as I turned my head to look at my hands and the pacifier -- my right hand, the pacifier, my right hand, the pacifier...Finally I was ready. I started looking at the pacifer and then switched to watching my left hand. I stared at my left hand as I moved my right hand closer to the pacifier. I watched my left hand close around the air as my right hand closed around the pacifier...ever so carefully, control is difficult. My mama watched with awe as my right and left brains worked to help me grasp something in the middle. She could see how they are wired to the opposite sides of my body.

Then she tried it again. This time I did the same thing, but with the opposite hands. Plus, I challenged myself. Last time I grabbed the pacifier with my thumb. This time I carefully collected the pacifier with my index finger, using my thumb for grip. In short, I pincer-gripped the pacifier out of the air. Then I watched it carefully, trying to guide it to my mouth. This was more difficult than my mind and body were able to do in that moment. 


My mama could have cried with joy, though. Every day is an amazing journey of learning. I am grateful my parents are here to travel it with me.

No comments: