Saturday, January 8, 2011

New Developments

I am such a big girl! In addition to having longer toes and legs, the following are going on:

1. The other day, my mama's hair was down. I played gently with the locks of hair instead of pulling like I used to. She saw me looking intently at her hair and signed "hair" to me. I signed "hair" back!

2. I like to brush my hair and my teeth when someone mentions them, especially my hair, which i have more of now.

3. I have been signing and saying baby for days all day long. "Baby, baby, baby, baby...." Rocking my arms happily....I'm the baby!

4. I signed "bath" for the first time yesterday, sometime mimicking my mama and other times just because I heard the word. I was in the bath longer than usual yesterday, too. I had a good time scrubbing myself with the washcloth like my mama does for me. I also figured out that I could hold the ends and clap them together to get a cool sound. I am always trying to see what sounds things make!


5. Speaking of making sounds, my drumming has taken another step. Yesterday while we were waiting to Skype my daddy played the song "Mangalam" off the Chants of India album from Ravi Shankar (produced by George Harrison). My mama loves that track. I was captivated, she thought, because of the rhythms and drumming. Then I started moving my hand. She thought I was tapping to try to find the rhythm. I looked at my hand and what it was doing. Then I looked at my daddy. His hands started doing the same thing. I looked at the music, my hand and my daddy. Then I looked back and forth from my daddy's hands to my hands. We were drumming! My mama realized that I was working to holding my hands and fingers like my daddy's while I drummed out the music. A memorable family moment round the dinner table.

No comments: