Saturday, January 15, 2011

Multilingual Me

I have had an explosion of language lately. I say some things in English, some in Spanish and some in American Sign Language. I need to find some words in Konkani, but here are some things I am have said in each:

English: toast, juice, hot, baby, Mama, Daddy, Papa, Mamama (technically Konkani!), Grandpa, E-ma, (sorry Abuelita), read the book, toast, friend, up

Spanish: baila (dance!) / I know the words canta and besos, too, but I haven't said them.

ASL: rabbit, juice, music, water, dog, bath, potty, milk, baby, Daddy, singing (her own, technically), book, sleep, friend, up, and the newest -- banana!

There is much language that I recognize and much that I am learning now. My mama's favorite is "I Love You." I pay close attention to that one. It's a hard one to pin down, but think I know what it means when my mama looks in my eyes, tells me "I love you" and gives me kisses and squishy hugs.

No comments: