Friday, March 2, 2012

Riding a Bike! For Real!

My mama took me (and baby, but he slept in the sling the whole time) outside so I could practice riding my bike. I have been out before, but I am really just barely on the side of big enough, especially with my snow boots on. We had the biggest adventure, turns out. The bike riding was just the beginning, but here's some footage of my learning.

I do have a hard time coordinating holding the bike (which just wants to fall down on its own). I ask for help to pick up the bike, but my mama helps me try on my own again.


The sidewalk is flat enough and our house is at the top of a hill. I used the incline to give me momentum, but it meant I can pick up speed quickly. I practiced stopping by putting my feet down and going by picking my feet up. I also stopped along the way. You know, to smell the roses...


After this video ends I really got brave. I also got stuck where the bike wouldn't go on it's own and I had to figure out how to make it go. I put my head down and pushed forward with my whole body. This worked well, but was scary and caused me to fall down. I was truly getting into the heart of the art of bike riding, but I was also at the peak of my frustration level. I wanted to ride more, but it was more difficult than I could handle after 30 minutes and so much learning. I had a bit of a breakdown. My mama sat next to me on the sidewalk while I decided if I was going to go to see the owl (who we heard awaken and who features in our subsequent adventures) or if I was going to go to the playground. It turned out that I just needed to get some feelings out after the intensity of facing my fears and riding my bike for real for the first time. We left my bike there and went to see the fish where the most glorious surprise adventure awaited us.

No comments: