Thursday, February 24, 2011

EC Update

Rushing to the potty took a back seat for my mama and daddy when I would scream and kick if they put me on the potty, even if we all knew I had to go. They just talked about it with me as usual. If I peed in my diaper or pooped on the floor we talked about it. I often would come over and tell them about it if they didn't notice -- "mama," point, "poop." My parents both used more diapers and gave me more diaper free time (or just put on pants with no diaper). 

Lately, though, with mostly diaper free time all day, I have been telling mama and daddy when I have to go to the potty. I usually sign and say potty. I most often have to go, even if it's just a little "peeps" as my mama likes to say. Sometimes, though, it's a big poop and we sit and talk and play and sing...often about poop and the potty. Sometimes I brush my hair or my teeth or read a book if I need to be in there a while. When I am finished I try to slide off the big potty or I get up off my potty. Sometimes I'll reach to flush. 

Just in the last day or two, I have grown enough (growth spurt this weekend?) to back up and sit down on my own. I practiced that all day and now I can do it pretty well! Sometimes I just start walking to the potty and then I look back and tell mama to come. I am getting ready to do this on my own, though; she can tell. 

Lucky for me, my parents are pretty laid back about things. If I need more time or help they will continue, as they have since I was one month, to talk to me about things: to communicate. My mama knows that the constant is change and that forward movement is rarely straight. For now, though, we all feel pretty good about my newfound sense of independence.

No comments: